PowerVault 650F

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Mon Apr 22 08:59:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Pavel Rabel wrote:

> How do I manage the 650F array from linux?

you can't.  it's a source of much disappointment to me, but i've
come to learn to live with a windows box in the middle of our
linux cluster.

> Are there any tools I can download from Dell?

yes.  but they are not for linux.

i'm sure the dell guys will step in if i'm wrong here, but the
only tools you can use to "manage" a 650F array is:

Data Supervisor (runs under Windows - my version says NT only, but it
runs fone on 2000 and i imagine there is a newer version)

Data Administrator  as above.

I mix them up, but one comes with the 650F and can be used to manage
one array at a time.  the other can manage multiple 650F arrays.  and
costs additional money.

there was some talk to navisphere for linux becoming available for
the 650F, but this appears to be rumour only and in fact never
eventuated.  since the 650F is "old" technology, i doubt it ever
will be available.

hope this helps.

-jason