Best RH7.2 text?

Aly S.P Dharshi aly.dharshi at uleth.ca
Fri Apr 19 20:05:01 CDT 2002

Hi Ivan,

    Okay, I use Exim because its small easy to configure, there are options
for virtually all kinds of things. Exim supports NIS/NIS+, database, ldap
authentication and lookups for information, it uses the same command line
options as sendmail to preserve compatability and has a wide variety of
rbl,spam system checkups. Exim will compile on virtually any system that has
the standard libs on them.

    Exim has a split spool system which works well with Linux based systems
for mail delivery remotely, University of Lethbridge has for example
converted over to the system, we had relay servers blocking out spam (soon
to be outfitted with SpamAssassin) which will just drop in and work, exim is
sort of chain/rule based, it checks what are called directors (exim 3.x)
,routers (4.x) and drops from one to the other until a suitable one is found
to do the job. Main mail servers will run exim for as full blown mail
servers on yes you guessed it, a Dell PE2550

    Exim has a filtering (easy to learn) language which allows for system
wide and per user filtering of messages based upon you needs. Exim works
with .forward file and the /etc/alias style (directly) files for aliases
(unless you are using LDAP). There is the ability to have multiple systems
as fallback hosts.

    The best bit is the use of 3 mail storage formats of which the popular
one is Maildir where messages are stored as single files and hence it
reduces corrupt mailboxes (mbx), restore time and finally easy to back up,
messages are individually locked on delivery unlike mbx where the entire
mailbox is locked. A decent Imap/Pop server Courier Imap can be used to
access such a storage format with ease.

    There is alot more that I can say but the best way to know about it is
to go to http://www.exim.org and check it out for yourself. Courier Imap can
be found at (http://www.courier-mta.org). From there add in mailman (Dell
uses it) for mailing lists and Spam Assassin to control your incoming spam.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers,

        Aly.