need more help with Dell OpenManage install

Les Niles lniles at Narus.com
Tue Apr 16 15:31:00 CDT 2002

>Matt_Domsch at dell.com [mailto:Matt_Domsch at dell.com] wrote:
>
> > >Administrator (omawsd) did not get installed.  omawsd is the
> > webserver.
> >
> > You are correct here, although I don't know why start.sh
> > didn't install it.
> > I just installed the ServerAdministrator-1.0-0.i386.rpm, no errors.
> >
> > # rpm -ihv  ServerAdministrator-1.0-0.i386.rpm
> > Preparing...
> > ###########################################
> > [100%]
>

> Right.  You can't do this with RPM.  The ServerAdministrator RPM is really
> fake entry for the RPM database only - it doesn't actually install
anything.
> start.sh should have installed omawsd for you (it may have been a checkbox
> entry which needed to be checked).  Or, uninstall OMSA using the provided
> script, and try again with start_text.sh which does an unattended, "all
OMSA
> components" install.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

This works well if you want to do the normal thing, set up SA on a
standard server.  But it's difficult to do anything else.  In my case
I need to integrate with other (our own) system management software.
There's
really no choice other than using SA since, AFAIK, the interfaces to
the hardware and drivers are not documented.  So I have to install the
whole package, then remove or disable the bits I don't want and hope that
it'll all work reliably that way.  (Using the GUI-based start.sh is not
an option in our manufacturing process.)

Consider this a feature request: Either provide some fairly fine-grained
control of what gets installed with start_text.sh, and/or -- even better --
document the interfaces to the drivers or release the source, so that
those of us that need to do something special, can.

  -les