failed dependency error while upgrading to 2.4.9-31smp (kernelperformance tuning?)

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 02:54:00 CDT 2002

> to digress a bit, do other people compile custom kernels out there ?  do you
> have any tips on performance tuning for dell servers ?  i've attached a config
> file of mine for i686-smp if people find that useful.

Since Red Hat already ships a different dozen kernels precompiled the
one the installer picks is probably already pretty close to optimal. (eg
the cpu
type will be pretty close)

Things you can do in addition:
1) If you have less than 1Gb of ram, disable CONFIG_HIGHMEM
   (the overhead is some memory use, not so much raw performance)
2) if you have a Pentium III or above, select that cpu type; this
enables
   a few optimisations. (Note that the > 4Gb kernels from Red Hat
already
   have this)
3) Compile everything you need into the kernel, but not more.
   Using modules vs compiled in has a slight overhead at runtime. If you
want
   the last bit of performance, compile stuff in. (We're planning to fix
this
   for some future release, there's some ideas floating around)

There's also some runtime things you can tweak;
http://powertweak.sourceforge.net
has a gui app to tweak some of the kernel tunables).

Elevator (also man elvtune) and readahead settings will have the most
visible impact.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven