installing Linux on Poweredge 2450 with PowerVault 200S

Mon Apr 15 16:05:00 CDT 2002

Here's the info I promised to you earlier.  Also if you have the dell
utility partition you
need to place grub in the /boot partition and not the master boot record of
the drive.

PowerEdge with RedHat Linux and Perc2, 2/si, 3/si, and 3/di has
Kernel Panic After Configuring Logical Drive on PVXXX Attached to Megaraid
Perc

System boots fine with both the ROMB and AMI percs in the system but once
a logical drive is configured on the AMI perc, kernel panics happen
until the logical drive is deleted on the AMI/LSI Megaraid controller.

The problem is with Redhat Linux's method of scanning the pci bus.  It is
scanning
the pci slots before the embedded controllers and is loading the megaraid
module
before the aacraid module and subsequently rearranges the drive and
partition
order on the system and then grub/lilo points to the wrong location for the
root
partition of the system.  The fix is to edit your /etc/modules.conf to
reflect
the order the modules should actually be loaded and then recreating your
system
ramdisks to properly load the modules when the kernel is booting.  Here are
the
steps necessary to do that:

1.  You need to disconnect the external drives and boot the system. Edit
your
/etc/modules.conf file. You should see lines like:

          scsi_hostadapter  megaraid
          scsi_hostadapter1 aacraid
          scsi_hostadapter2 aic7xxx

and possibly others. Re-arrange the lines so that "aacraid" is before all
the rest,
and renumber them in the new order.  What's important is that aacraid is
first:
           scsi_hostadapter  aacraid
           scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
           scsi_hostadapter2 megaraid

2.  Next, you need to regenerate all of your initial ramdisks (initrds). The
command
to do this is:
#mkinitrd  initrd-filename  kernel-version
Example for 7.2 default kernel is:
#mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10smp.img 2.4.7-10smp

Do this only on one kernel at first to ensure that you do it properly and
can boot to
the kernel that you have created the ramdisk for.  After successfully
booting to the
kernel with the new ramdisk, then continue to create ramdisks for all your
kernels you
have listed in /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf.

You are now ready to reattach the PVxxx and recover the configuration from
NVRAM or
if no array is there, create a logical drive, initialize, and boot to linux.