installing Linux on Poweredge 2450 with PowerVault 200S

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 15 15:52:00 CDT 2002

At 20:03 15-4-2002 +0100, Gareth Hobson wrote:
>I am new to Linux, and it is a few years since I did an install of any
>type of UNIX, but now I am facing the challenge of installing Linux 7.2 on
>a Poweredge 2450 with a PowerVault 200S  and I cannot achieve success.
>
>I have 2 disks in the server (mirrored) and there are 3 disks in the
>PowerVault.

Which are connected to the onboard raid controller or the megaraid controller?
Are the 2 disks on the internal channel and if so on which controller?

>I can run through the entire install, and there are no apparent problems
>(megaraid etc. all appear to be dealt with), but at the end of the install
>Linux will not boot.

Ahh, if you have more then one controller this mixup is quite common. You
probably want to boot from the 2 disks in the server but somehow the
bootload probably got loaded onto the the wrong set of drives.

>If I boot Linux from a boot disk, it fails with a kernel panic.

That would be expected since the bootdisk has almost no drivers at all and
the disk driver you need probably isn't included.

>Has anyone done such an install before and is there something I am missing?

The bios and linux fighting over which disk is the bootdisk is always
somewhat of a mess.

If you boot the linux installer cd and boot it with "linux rescue" you can
get into the rescue mode and see what modules are loaded and using dmesg
you can look which disk becomes sda and which sdb.

Cheers

--
Seth