serial port pci cards in 1550 short circuits?

Ard van Breemen ard at telegraafnet.nl
Mon Apr 15 13:03:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 07:50:05PM +0200, Ard van Breemen wrote:
> (PS: I could also be blatantly stupid about pci, and that the 3.3v
> version do not use keys).
Forget blatantly stupid:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/General/PCI_Info.html
So: according to the keying, both the PE2550 and the PE1550 expect
5v 32/64 bit cards, or 5v compatible cards.

If that is not the case, then the PE2550 and the PE1550 are badly
designed (eh, I mean they do not conform to the mechanical pci connector
specifications).

The serial card
http://www.exsys.ch/Englisch/Products/PCI_IO-E/EX-41092E/ex-41092e.htm
is supposed to be a universal 3.3v+5v PCI card.
So actually there should not be any problem...

I will retry my card in several 64 bit systems (with 5v or with 3.3v),
if that does not clear anything, then there must be something wrong
with the power? But what.... sigh....
--
<ard at telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html