serial port pci cards in 1550 short circuits?

Ard van Breemen ard at telegraafnet.nl
Mon Apr 15 12:15:00 CDT 2002

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody noticed this:
We installed a serial port pci card into the poweredge 1550, and then
the (#!*#@ thing refuses to turn(!) on. No, really, no power. A small
flash on the front leds, and no power anymore.
I have to remove the powercord and insert it again, to make it start
again (Eh, after removal of the pci card of course).

My colleague already called the helpdesk, but they promptly replied that
we should use certified cards, etc...

The DELL knowledge base says something foolish about that the 1550
only supports 64 bit cards, which should mean that currently all our
firewalls are not working for some months now, because they all contain
32 bit pci eepro 100 cards.

Anyway, that 32/64 bit cannot be the issue, the behaviour looks more
like a short-circuit protection behaviour, which is also odd, because
the card has two key gaps to indicate the 3.3v (the same as all our
eepro100 cards).

Anyway, some relevant data:
Card: 16PCI954 based with 93LC64 EEPROM for PCI config.
Systems:
DELL 1550     64 bit slot       NO POWER
DELL 1550     64 bit slot       NO POWER
DELL 2550     64 bit slot       POWER, works
IBM netfinity 64 bit slot slot  POWER, works

Card: intel eepro100 with two key gaps:
(Works in all systems I have seen, either 32, or 64 bit slots).

--
<ard at telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html