poervault/linux query

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Sun Apr 14 01:45:00 CDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, jason andrade wrote:

> 	o shut down the array

Neat question. I've never done anything more than flip the power switch on
them. Unless you have write caching turned on, WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE
TURNED ON UNLESS YOU HAVE THE UPS OPTION, you shouldn't have to worry
about it. Sorry about yelling, but it is an important point. (Write cache
is turned off by default anyways. You really have to know what you are
doing to turn it on, as there are at least two (iirc) places you need to
touch to get it on.)

> 	o get the array to do a consistency check on the luns
> 	  as i am getting a lot of "soft peer bus error"

Another good question. I don't know about this one. Sounds bad to me.
Where are you getting this error message?

>         o configure up SPB

nothing to configure. It is already in the box.

>         o migrate 2 LUNs from SPA to SPB

There is a menu option for this in Data Administrator. (from memory) click
on the luns and change the default owner, then tell it to switch active
SPs. The key is to change the default owner in Data Administrator on the
NT box. You might have to have the NT box hooked up to both SPs, though. I
don't exactly remember. :-(

>         o save it all

It automatically does this.

>         o on the linux box, add a second HBA and then i should see
>           2 LUNs on one HBA and 2 on the other.

This sounds about right.

>         o configure failover, so if a SP fails, it will fail the
>           LUNs over to the other SP - and then i manually reboot
>           the linux box to "see" all the LUNs
>

> another quick query on the 2450 - if you have two of them configured
> with 2 disks in each in a mirror set and you want to "swap" disks
> between the two, if you power down both machines and swap both
> disks (e.g disk0 and disk1) between chassis, will that work, or
> is there some key tied into the controller nvram on diskid etc ?

Generally you will need to boot the machine and go into the firmware to
tell it to ignore the nvram and re-read the config from the disk. It is
generally pretty obvious how to do this once you get into the BIOS screen,
but there are several knowledgeable people on the list who can guide you
step-by-step should you need it.

--
Michael