Container Configuration

Thu Apr 11 16:59:00 CDT 2002

Actually it is all a preferential thing.  Everything in the utility
partition can be created and run from booting to floppies and is then a
speed issue of how fast you access the utilities.  If you want the one of 4
partitions then by all means do a manual install and don't worry about it.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: jason andrade [mailto:jason at dstc.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 4:53 PM
To: Matt_Domsch at exchange.dell.com
Cc: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: RE: Container Configuration

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 Matt_Domsch at dell.com wrote:

> The Dell Server Assistant CD can destroy and recreate your containers the
> way you want them prior to new OS install.  That's the recommended method
of
> OS install.

when we first got our 2450s about 18 months ago, i dutifully installed the
server assistant onto the hard drives to enable support for the F10 stuff
at boot time.

is this actually worth doing ?  it appears that if you are trashing the MBR
with lilo or grub your F10 stuff to call it up from the hard drive won't
work
anyway and to boot into the image installed on the drive one has to
configure
a lilo or grub label and choose to boot into it.  even though fdisk appears
to think it is marked bootable..

it appears to be a 30M or so partition at the start of the disk - i am
thinking
about wiping it out in our upcoming upgrade and using it for /boot.

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1106 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         4     32098+  de  Unknown
/dev/sda2             5       323   2562367+  83  Linux      (/)
/dev/sda3           324      1106   6289447+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5           324       833   4096543+  83  Linux      (/server)
/dev/sda6           834       978   1164681   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda7           979      1106   1028128+  83  Linux      (/local or
extra swap )

regards,

-jason