Container Configuration

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Apr 11 16:54:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 Matt_Domsch at dell.com wrote:

> The Dell Server Assistant CD can destroy and recreate your containers the
> way you want them prior to new OS install.  That's the recommended method of
> OS install.

when we first got our 2450s about 18 months ago, i dutifully installed the
server assistant onto the hard drives to enable support for the F10 stuff
at boot time.

is this actually worth doing ?  it appears that if you are trashing the MBR
with lilo or grub your F10 stuff to call it up from the hard drive won't work
anyway and to boot into the image installed on the drive one has to configure
a lilo or grub label and choose to boot into it.  even though fdisk appears
to think it is marked bootable..

it appears to be a 30M or so partition at the start of the disk - i am thinking
about wiping it out in our upcoming upgrade and using it for /boot.

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1106 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         4     32098+  de  Unknown
/dev/sda2             5       323   2562367+  83  Linux      (/)
/dev/sda3           324      1106   6289447+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5           324       833   4096543+  83  Linux      (/server)
/dev/sda6           834       978   1164681   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda7           979      1106   1028128+  83  Linux      (/local or extra swap )

regards,

-jason