Integrated Intel cards not working in RH 7.2

Thu Apr 11 12:02:00 CDT 2002

Jumper clear cmos on the motherboard and then they will start working.
Seems to be some kind of issue in bios and pci bus is having some problems
occasionally with the nics.  This will fix the issue and clear it up.  Do
disable any resources in setup not being used like parallel port and serial
ports.
steve

-----Original Message-----
From: wkurdzio at cslab.vt.edu [mailto:wkurdzio at cslab.vt.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 11:52 AM
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: Integrated Intel cards not working in RH 7.2

Hello,

   I've been tasked w/ setting up a PowerEdge 1550 w/ RH 7.2, and I cannot
seem
to get either of the integrated Intel cards to come up on the network. Now,
have *tons* of experience w/ Linux and RH, and I've recently configured two
almost identical PowerEdge 1550s w/ Debian (a distribution I have even more
experience w/). So, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. The on-board
diagnostics indicate both cards are fine, and I've tried both the eepro100
driver and the e100 driver. The network comes up, but when I ping something
(the router, the DNS servers, my workstation), I get the 'Destination Host
Unreachable' error. The other two PowerEdges work great (I couldn't be more
pleased, actually); the only difference is that those two are directly on
the
network. This PowerEdge is on a switch w/ several other computers including
two
other PowerEdge 1550s running older versions of Red Hat which work fine
which
were configured before I started working here which is then connected to the

network through a cross-over cable. So, am I crazy, or does this sound more
like a networking problem than a Linux problem? Thanks!

Wes Kurdziolek
UNIX Systems Administrator
wkurdzio at cslab.vt.edu