Integrated Intel cards not working in RH 7.2

wkurdzio@cslab.vt.edu wkurdzio at cslab.vt.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:53:01 CDT 2002

Hello,

   I've been tasked w/ setting up a PowerEdge 1550 w/ RH 7.2, and I cannot seem
to get either of the integrated Intel cards to come up on the network. Now, I
have *tons* of experience w/ Linux and RH, and I've recently configured two
almost identical PowerEdge 1550s w/ Debian (a distribution I have even more
experience w/). So, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. The on-board
diagnostics indicate both cards are fine, and I've tried both the eepro100
driver and the e100 driver. The network comes up, but when I ping something
(the router, the DNS servers, my workstation), I get the 'Destination Host
Unreachable' error. The other two PowerEdges work great (I couldn't be more
pleased, actually); the only difference is that those two are directly on the
network. This PowerEdge is on a switch w/ several other computers including two
other PowerEdge 1550s running older versions of Red Hat which work fine which
were configured before I started working here which is then connected to the
network through a cross-over cable. So, am I crazy, or does this sound more
like a networking problem than a Linux problem? Thanks!

Wes Kurdziolek
UNIX Systems Administrator
wkurdzio at cslab.vt.edu