CERC ATA100/4CH on Linux (Was: What RAID in PE1655MC blades?)

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Tue Apr 9 06:29:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

> I noticed that it has a new RAID solution - the PERC 4/IM
> http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/learnmore/learnmore_raid_cards_serve
> rs_popup_pedge_pe1655mc_details.htm
> Does anyone know what flavour this is?  Adaptec/aacraid or
> AMI/megaraid or other?
>
> I prefer the AMI cards under Linux, but the new PE1650 doesn't
> offer this for internal disks.  I'd be interested to know what
> the PERC 4/IM is, and how well it will work with Linux.

This has just reminded me of another new product that Dell has recently
launched. So, if I may add a few more questions into the mix...

http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/enu/pad/topics/power_ps1q02-hogge.htm

What is the Linux support like for the new CERC ATA100/4CH controller, as
seen in the PowerEdge 500SC and 1400SC servers? Is the performance up to
scratch (i.e. no driver troubles, like with Aacraid)? Is the controller
simply a re-brand of some other product (perhaps Adaptec)?

A PowerEdge 1400SC server with a CERC adapter, packing four 120GB drives
running Linux with Samba has great appeal as a cheap fileserver with tons of
storage space.

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings