X lockups on Poweredge 2300

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 05:35:00 CST 2002

I'm having trouble with a Poweredge 2300, dual P3-450, 512MB RAM, Redhat
7.2 (with all errata).

I want to use it as a Linux desktop, but the onboard video memory is too
small for decent resolutions/colour depth.

I have 2 PCI graphics cards to try; an S3Virge rebadge and an ATI 264VT.
Both lockup the machine hard.

I can get slightly further with the S3. It actually starts X, but dies
when I stress it with "x11perf -all". The ATI locks as soon as
Xconfigurator "tests" the card (after probing, before "how much
memory?"). Similar with the graphical installer for RH7.2.

I've got as far as I can with serial consoles (no oops), nmi_watchdog
arguments to the kernel (didn't work), uniprocessor kernels (didn't
help), moving the card around to different slots (didn't help), looking
for "disable onboard video" jumper (there isn't one, but the Dell docs
do say it's disabled). Everything's fine in text-mode, BTW.

Can anyone help? Known workarounds are ideal, but suggestions of how to
diagnose the cause of the lockup are also welcome.

Cheers,

Phil