/dev/random and entropy pool

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Mon Apr 1 17:23:01 CST 2002

Intel i810 driver would be nice, but... we don't have i810 chipsets in any
of our servers :-(

If you are into running your own compiled kernels, there is a patch
for net devices to contribute their IRQ randomness to the pool.
http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/ (about halfway down.)

Another useful link: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/rnd/

There is also audio-entropyd, which takes random noise from a floating
microphone input and contributes that to the pool, but again, our servers
don't have sound :-(

Probably your best bet is the Broadcom 5820 card. You have to flip a bit
in the config to tell it to put stuff in the random pool, though.
--
Michael

--
Michael E. Brown, RHCE, MCSE+I, CNA