Broadcom 5700 on Red Hat 2.2.16-22

Tue Oct 30 06:43:00 CST 2001

Sounds like could be irq issues.  What else do you have in pci slots?  Go
into the system setup and disable usb and anything else you aren't using and
then light up the num, cap, and scroll lock lights on your keyboard.  Do an
Alt-E and the system should beep at you.  Then save your configuration and
exit and it will force a rescan of the pci bus and reassign your interrupts
at the bios level.  Since it's happening during heavy traffic it very well
could be that they are sharing an interrupt and causing the hangs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Szilagyi [mailto:chris at groupinfo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 7:38 AM
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: Broadcom 5700 on Red Hat 2.2.16-22

Hello,

We recently purchased a PowerEdge 2550 (with the integrated Broadcom 5700
gigabit adapter) and the Intel Pro 1000/T server adapter.  The server is
acting as a firewall using the two gigabit adapters.  During
very heavy traffic through the machine, the Broadcom adapter will drop
offline briefly, then come back up.  Right when this happens, looking in
/var/log/messages shows us the following:

Oct 26 13:05:15 fw kernel: eth0: Tx hung
Oct 26 13:09:24 fw kernel: eth0: Link up, 100 Mbps half duplex

We have tried the Broadcom driver v 1.4.5, supplied by Dell, and also the
Broadcom driver v 1.4.6 supplied by 3com for the 3c996, which we have found
has the Broadcom chip in it.  We tried both of these drivers with the
2.2.16-22 kernel, and with the 2.2.19-7.0.10enterprise kernel, and get the
same results.  We also tried the obvious by using different ethernet cables
and plugging into a 10/100 switch and a gigabit switch. Still, the same
problem.

I was wondering if anybody else has seen the Broadcom adapter do this. I
would also appreciate any feedback on how stable this adapter is and how
stable the driver for Linux is.  We are temporarily using two Intel Pro
1000/T adapters and they are rock solid.

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris
Group InfoTech, Inc.