Upgrading the kernel on a Poweredge 4400

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 05:32:00 CDT 2001

>>>Richard_Goodwin at Dell.com said:
> Guys, here is the .config I used. I get well past the point you mentioned,
> almost all the way through Red Hat's init, but towards the end I get errors
> about init "spawning too fast, retrying in 5 minutes".. If someone can
> enlighten me to that problem, maybe we are in the clear..
>
> I used a stock 2.4.9 kernel source, patched with the aacraid patch mentioned
> below.

Thanks for that.  My immediate scan through the .config notes that
you have configured devfs, mounted at boot time.  Which I find rather
adventurous and may be the cause of your problem - no /dev/tty or
something.

I'm going to remove it before I try that!

(I have run devfs on 2.4.x with RedHat and setting up devfsd and all
the correct /dev parts is tricky).

Thanks a lot

Dave