Mount Points and Partitions

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Wed Nov 28 07:53:00 CST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kok Seng Lim wrote:

> A couple of questions regarding the issue.
>
> Is there any program or ways to change the size of the existing
> partitions(swap, Linux Native) or add additional partitions without
> destroying the data? (like Partition Magic for Windows). I thought it would
> be easier for me to just modify existing partitions on my PE 2500 (FI with
> RH7.1) instead of manually re-install the Linux.

Parted has some very limited capability to do this, but you can change
only the end of the partition, and the partition has to be unmounted. So
it isn't quite as flexible as partition magic.

Red Hat is investigating an LVM for their next release, which may or may
not make it in. If an LVM were integrated, it would allow this type of
flexibility.

> I also found out that RH7.1 installation through OpenManage Assistant CD
> does not allow any customization of partitions at all. So, if I were to do
> the manual installation of RH7.1, what are the server configurations/driver
> upgrades that I need to carry out after the installation?

The folks who create these CDs are working on a new method that allows you
to customize partitions. This will be released as Dell Server Assistant 7
in the next couple of months.

--
Michael Brown
Linux Solutions