Mount Points and Partitions

Neil Spring nspring at cs.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 04:36:01 CST 2001

> > Is there any program or ways to change the size of the existing
> > partitions(swap, Linux Native) or add additional partitions without
> > destroying the data? (like Partition Magic for Windows). I

parted(8)               GNU Parted Manual               parted(8)

NAME
       GNU Parted - a partition manipulation program

SYNOPSIS
       parted [options] [device [command [options]]]

DESCRIPTION
       parted  is  a disk partitioning and partition
       resizing program.  It allows you to create,
       destroy, resize, move and copy ext2, FAT and FAT32
       partitions.  This is useful for creating space for
       new operating systems, reorganising disk usage,
       and copying data to new  hard disks.

It's free, but not as pretty or as featured as partition
magic, and you should always back up your data first.

-neil