Mount Points and Partitions

Stig_Fjeldheim@Dell.com Stig_Fjeldheim at Dell.com
Tue Nov 27 03:05:00 CST 2001

Mr. Lim,

>UP (Utility Partition) - 32 MB - DOS
>/ - 512 MB - Linux Native
>/boot - 20 MB - Linux native
>swap - variable - Linux swap
>/usr - 2560 MB - Linux native
>/tmp - 64 MB - Linux native
>/var - 1536 MB - Linux native
>/home - 1024 MB - Linux native
>/usr2 - Glowing - Linux native
>
>I'm still a newbie in Linux and has been using Windows
>platform all along.
>I wonder:
>
>1) By fixing so many partitions and sizes as suggested, what are the
>advantages? I thought it will limit the effective used of hard
>disk space!

The main advantage would be the ability to be able to restore only one
partition at a time, say, if your /home partition would somehow go corrupt,
you only have one partition to fix/restore. You can also unmount/remount
parts of your system, while still leaving it in a working state. Remounting
/home as read only to perform a fsck on it would be an example of this.
Partitioning will take up very little excessive hard drive space, so that
shouldn't be a problem at all.

>2) Is there any other partition configuration that is much
>more suitable?

What the basic idea behind it is to keep the /boot area within the first
1024 cylinders on the disk. From there you can partition pretty much as you
want, but a normal server installation would perhaps have the following
setup:

/boot
/
/home
/tmp
/usr
/var

The space on these would vary according to your needs, but perhaps the same
as above except selecting the "Use Remaining Space" for the /usr partition.

>3) What is the recommended swap size for the server, as a Lotus Domino
>Application server serving around 50 - 100 users concurrently?

I am not familiar with how much memory each connection to the lotus server
would take up, but if it was as much as 10, that'd still only amount to
about 750MB of the system memory for 75 users. Allocating space for swap is
an often-discussed topic, but most have their own personal preference. I'd
put 256 MB for swap, and see how it performs. If you find you need more
swap, adding another swap partition later is an easy task.

Regards,
Stig Fjeldheim [RHCE, MCSE, LCP]_____
Server Technician, Dell Nordic Region