OpenManage

Jonas Bofjall job at abc.se
Mon Nov 19 18:46:00 CST 2001

I am a consultant who set up cost-effective Linux systems. Recently I based
a solution on the Dell PowerEdge 2500 hardware, which so far has proven to
be very reliable and good performing. I look forward to be using a lot more
of this hardware in the future.

However, I took the decision to switch hardware on the premise that Dell
officially supports Linux. This standpoint has been posted both on your
mailing lists and your web site. I seem to have got the wrong impression.
I want to download the SNMP-utilities called Dell OpenManage for Linux,
but they are only offered as Red Hat RPMs and only supported on the Red Hat
kernel.

This defies the whole point of open source -- vendor independency! I do
*not* wish to lock my customers to Red Hat software, nor can I use their
stock kernels of performance reasons. Can you please publish OpenManage
tools that work for *Linux* (as opposed to Red Hat Linux), in a standard
format such as tar.gz, *or* clarify that you do not support Linux on your
web pages.

Thank you

  // Jonas Bofjäll