Help needed fsck exited with signal 11

Chris Pascoe c.pascoe at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 06:26:22 CST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, David Vu wrote (on linux-poweredge):

> Checking root filesystem
> / was not cleanly unmounted, check forced
> Warning... fsck.ext2 for device /dev/sda3 exited with signal 11
> [FAILED]

Hi David,

This (as well as everything being fine with the earlier kernels, and on
rpm -Va) is consistent with problems that I've seen in the RH errata
kernel on highmem-enabled machines.  See linux-aacraid-devel for further
details.  An unofficial and unsupported patch (written by me) was posted
there yesterday against the RH errata kernel that works around the issues
that become evident with the aacraid driver - but I don't believe it
fixes the actual cause.

If you have only 1GB of RAM in the machine, you can work around the
problem temporarily by sacrificing the top 128MB of RAM - add "mem=896M"
to your LILO line.  Effectively you're disabling highmem by doing this,
which is one of the factors needed for the failure to occur.

If you want to try a kernel RPM that I've built locally and have been
stressing with continual reboots every 10 minutes for the past 24 hours
(something that would fail 19/20 times for me prior to my patching) - then
you can try:
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chrisp/rpm/kernel-smp-2.4.9-12.cjp.i686.rpm

It's built from the redhat 2.4.9-12 sources, with my workaround added to
avoid the crashing I was seeing.  It only comes with a "works for me"
guarantee.  If you want to rebuild from source rather than try this binary
RPM, then see the aacraid list for the patch - a variant is attached to a
recent message sent by Matt Domsch.

Regards,
Chris
--