Can't see DLT drive on PE2500?

Carl Gibbons cgibbons at du.edu
Tue Nov 13 11:23:00 CST 2001

Hi!  My team purchased a new Poweredge, which we're hoping to use (among
other tasks) as a backup server.  It came with a DLT tape drive.  Dell
preinstalled RedHat 7.1; after booting and configuring the machine, we
rebooted with RedHat 7.2 CDs and chose the "Upgrade existing installation"
option, so now I have RedHat's 2.4.7-10smp kernel.

According to page 1-4 of

   http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/software/lnx7132/lnx7132.pdf

I should be able to "mt -f /dev/st0 status" and such.  Instead, I get
"/dev/st0: no such device."  Since we have six disks on three SCSI
controllers and a PERC controller RAIDing them all, I thought perhaps the
DLT was connected to some other controller, so I tried all of the /dev/st1
through /dev/st31 entries; none of them worked either.  How do I use the
DLT drive?