offtopic, was Re: AMI megaraid performance (was: RE: Dell release of Redhat 7.2)

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 9 18:01:00 CST 2001

At 17:43 9-11-2001 -0500, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > uppsss! what is that here? why the heck do you curse at SGI, it does good
> > work for the Open Source community, too. to my knowledge they never
> > claimed to use resembled Redhat kernels.
>
>They do, sort of. Not in their CVS but in their "Red Hat based" RPM releases.

They look like redhat kernels, the feel like redhat kernels. But they are
not redhat kernels. We mention in various places like the installer and
documentation that problems should be reported on the mailinglist and to
redhat.

> > rather different kernel branches (AC, Linus). just try to be fair here
> > also with the choice of words. the center of the world is not RedHat,
> > also if you are getting paid by them.
>
>I don't object to ANYONE using any kernel as base (assuming the work is open
>source etc); the thing I objected to in this case was using the SGI XFS
>kernel for performance measurement and then suggesting that this is the
>performance of the Red Hat kernel.

No, I was suggesting that the newer firmware is a lot faster then the older
one. But I might not have been too clear about that. But some people don't
believe you unless you show them some numbers.

>Now the person who made that oversight doesn't work for SGI and I also don't
>blame him;

Thank you ;-)

>  it's a very easy mistake to make since the SGI XFS kernel (the
>RPM one, not the CVS one) has the same version number and all as the kernel
>Red Hat releases.

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/testing/RH2.4.9-12/kernel-2.4.9-12SGI_XFS_PR1.i386.rpm

Almost the same except for the SGI_XFS part ;-)
It is even in caps! <grin>

>  The ease of this confusion was the cause of my worry.

They are trying at best to make a distinction. Don't worry.

It's not like I needed to call support for something like this.

If I would, I first have to encounter dell support which takes about 30
minutes to explain what problem I have after which they then put me through
to 2nd line... :-)

Cheers

--
Seth