offtopic, was Re: AMI megaraid performance (was: RE: Dell release of Redhat 7.2)

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 15:44:01 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 05:29:19PM -0500, Dirk Wetter wrote:

[I don't want to have a flameware and I didn't intend to start one]

> uppsss! what is that here? why the heck do you curse at SGI, it does good
> work for the Open Source community, too. to my knowledge they never
> claimed to use resembled Redhat kernels.

They do, sort of. Not in their CVS but in their "Red Hat based" RPM releases.

> rather different kernel branches (AC, Linus). just try to be fair here
> also with the choice of words. the center of the world is not RedHat,
> also if you are getting paid by them.

I don't object to ANYONE using any kernel as base (assuming the work is open
source etc); the thing I objected to in this case was using the SGI XFS
kernel for performance measurement and then suggesting that this is the
performance of the Red Hat kernel.

Now the person who made that oversight doesn't work for SGI and I also don't
blame him; it's a very easy mistake to make since the SGI XFS kernel (the
RPM one, not the CVS one) has the same version number and all as the kernels
Red Hat releases. The ease of this confusion was the cause of my worry.

Greetings,
    Arjan van de Ven