need help to update old lion-System

Fri Nov 9 08:28:00 CST 2001

> I'm trying to update my old lion system (poweredge 7150, 4x ia64 B2
> 733mhz, 3GB) to the new suse 7.2 release

That system was acquired via the Intel ILP program.  We've forwarded your
note, and someone from Intel will be in touch with you regarding
upgrades/replacement.  Of course, I encourage you to purchase a new
PowerEdge 7150. :-)

In general, B2 processors are no longer supported, you need at least B3 or
C0 processors, and newer BIOS.  It's likely that SuSE's kernel was built to
specifically not support pre-B3 processors.  It's highly likely that the
next IA-64 kernel patch will drop support for pre-B3 processors entirely.
See the discussion on http://linuxia64.org/.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
#1 US Linux Server provider with 24% (IDC Sept 2001)
#2 Worldwide Linux Server provider with 17% (IDC Sept 2001)
#3 Unix provider with 18% in the US (Dataquest)!