Kernel panics with 7.2 and ANS

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 9 01:01:00 CST 2001

At 08:41 9-11-2001 +0100, David Kinnvall wrote:
>I have begun testing these new drivers on my 7.2-machine
>in the office. 13 hours of Cerberus and counting, with no
>hiccups so far. Looking good! I will do some evil network
>stuff as well, including failover during massive traffic.
>
>Still curious about if and when versions for the later RH
>errata kernels, preferably with source, will appear...?

2.4.9-12 is the latest kernel for 7.1 and 7.2
It is 2.2.19 for 6.2 and 7.0

>(My reasoning: Since the errata kernels are officialy
>  released kernels, there should be officially supported

Yes.

>  drivers for them as well, no? My 7.1-machines are still
>  running 2.4.3 because of this.)

They should have. Otherwise you are running a insecure box. And if a vendor
can't make a decent driver release within a few days it is not worth it.

A lot of linux boxes hang on something called the internet where getting
the door nailed shut should be done as fast as possible.

The honeynet project noted that a standard linux box without updates was
rooted within 5 minutes (!) after installation. This was without even
advertising the box or using it for production.

Cheers

--
Seth
I use the last kind.