TBU options for PowerEdge 2550

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 8 00:48:17 CST 2001

At 22:21 7-11-2001 -0600, John_E_Fitzgerald at dell.com wrote:
>The offically supported list of TBUs for the PowerEdge 2550 does not include
>any of the PowerVault 110T Single tape DLT4000/7000/DLT1 external units. I
>see no reason why they won't work; a remote site wants to use this type
>single external tape unit, native TAR backups only (which apparently rules
>out LTO due to speed unless you are running SW like ARCServe) so they can
>swap the unit between servers as required. I have also been told that
>autoloader setups are not natively supported in RH 7.1 (like the PowerVault
>120T 7 tape autoloader). Is anyone using a setup like this or have
>recommendations?

I use the PV 110 LTO here and it backups about 30GB in 45 minutes. Average
backup speed is about 10-12MB/s with hardware compression turned on and no
software compression.

Even when using gzip --fast the backuptime increments about 100%. The speed
of gzip is mainly limited by the speed of a single processor. The 1.13 Ghz
processors in this machine can not compress fast enough to saturate the
tapedrive.

--
Seth
I use the last kind.