Kernel panics with 7.2 and ANS

Ard van Breemen ard at telegraafnet.nl
Tue Nov 6 03:34:01 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:18:29PM -0800, Jeremy Stoltz wrote:
> I ended up upgrading the kernel to 2.4.9-13 and using the default e100
> drivers with no Etherchannel. I brought one of the boxes back to the office
> to do some testing on. I'll send a copy to this list and Intel once I get a
> chance. Are there any other options then iANS to use etherchannel or at
> least load balancing between two nics?
Yes, it is called bonding.
You can stick to load balancing bonding that is in the kernel. It is
probably enabled in a redhat kernel. Use enslave to use this bonding.
You can also use the bonding from sf.net, which also give you redundancy
(thus: link failure testing).
The bonding might not be as "good" as iANS (hey, iANS does not work,
it crashes), but there is good support, because it does not taint
your kernel.
iANS however only exists of binary drivers, which can only be used with
intels e100(0) drivers, and only on the intel architecture. It is just
another vendor locking utility, not a networking tool.
BASP is another proprietery implementation by broadcom, but with the
difference that the API is open for network drivers. The API is called
NICE. It contains the standard MII ioctl's, and some extensions intended
for vlan tagging.
Currently NICE is also supported by Ben Greears vlan, which almost makes
BASP obsolete, but it gave broadcom a big edge ahead.
--
<ard at telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html