Redhat 7.2 kernel-smp-2.4.9-7 failure on 2550

Woodcock, Steve SWoodcock at scholastic.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 09:06:01 CST 2001

Matt_Domsch at Dell.com writes:

> > Our 2550 fails to boot with latest smp kernel errata
> > (kernel-smp-2.4.9-7). It says:
>
> Latest is actually 2.4.9-13 now.   Progress...

Yup, I'm trying that one now. (My original message is a few days old
because I sent it to the wrong address and only resent it this
morning...)

> > PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 02:04.0
> > IRQ routing conflict for 02:04.0, have irq 10, want irq 9
>
> Hmmm.  That's kind of wierd.  What BIOS are you running?  A05 for
> the latest for the PE2550.

BIOS is A05

> > AAC:Batte
>
> This indicates that you need to perform a battery recondition (and
> that the driver has a bug in the printing of that message, but
> that's now understood).

Ok. I notice in the <ctrl-A> BIOS for the 3/DI that the write cache is
disabled, and the battery condition was "fine" or words to that
effect. I seem to remember some discussion here about this, can't
remember what the upshot was: can we enable the write cache? (Sorry,
this is a separate question really)

I'll try and get a dmesg from the failing smp kernel - I take it I
need to set the serial boot option in the BIOS and attach something
like HyperTerminal (Windows) to it? (We haven't got any proper serial
terminals).

Regards, Steve Woodcock