Garbage from keyboard input at console!

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Fri Nov 2 13:37:01 CST 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Basil Hussain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On one of our PowerEdge 1550s, there's an annoying problem we're having with
> keyboard input at the console (i.e. when you're physically at the machine).
> Basically, when I attempt to login, anything I type comes out as garbage -
> just strings of stuff like "[[^ [[^ [[^", etc.

Have you tried a different keyboard? It sounds like your CTRL or ALT key
is stuck. Try pressing every one of the modifier keys once or twice
(shift, alt, ctrl, caps-lock, num-lock, etc)

> Someone else remembers one of the servers doing this before and said it
> seemed to correct itself after some random pressing of Num-, Scroll- and
> Caps-lock keys. I doubt this, but hey, who knows?

I've seen this before with KVMs. The server is in that state until you fix
it, plugging the keyboard directly into the server doesn't usually help at
that point. Do the press-all-the-keys-randomly trick mentioned above.

> Anyway, as I'd really like to upgrade my OpenSSH installation (can't do it
> via remote SSH login, obviously) I need console access. Does anybody have
> any idea what could be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

You can upgrade OpenSSH from an SSH session, no problem. You don't need to
be at the console. If you have any sort of problems, make sure you don't
log out until you have fixed it :-)

--
Michael E. Brown, RHCE, MCSE+I, CNA
Dell Linux Solutions