Garbage from keyboard input at console!

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Fri Nov 2 04:16:00 CST 2001

Hi,

On one of our PowerEdge 1550s, there's an annoying problem we're having with
keyboard input at the console (i.e. when you're physically at the machine).
Basically, when I attempt to login, anything I type comes out as garbage -
just strings of stuff like "[[^ [[^ [[^", etc.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to-do with the KVM switch we're using, as I've
tried disconnecting from it and plugging the keyboard and display directly
into the ports at the front of the server. So, I reckon it's a software
problem, possibly the shell or login process perhaps?

Someone else remembers one of the servers doing this before and said it
seemed to correct itself after some random pressing of Num-, Scroll- and
Caps-lock keys. I doubt this, but hey, who knows?

Anyway, as I'd really like to upgrade my OpenSSH installation (can't do it
via remote SSH login, obviously) I need console access. Does anybody have
any idea what could be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com