2550 & RH 7.1?

Mon Jun 18 14:39:00 CDT 2001

Hi David.  Thanks for writing.

> My company has recently bought a PowerEdge 2550, with
> RedHat 7.0 preinstalled. Very nice machine!

Thank you!  We like them too.

> Are there any gotchas involved in moving up to RedHat
> 7.1 and the 2.4.x kernel series that are related to
> this machine and its hardware? The one we bought has
> the PERC3/Di RAID-adapter activated.

It's supported in the 7.1 retail CDs already.

> Would a straight upgrade installation using RedHat 7.1
> media work?

Dell has done limited upgrade testing.  In my tests, it's worked fine.

> I see that there are a few aacraid-related
> patches that seem to be necessary to apply. My guess is
> that the default kernel in RH 7.1 does not have these
> patches applied. Will the machine survive long enough
> to manage a recompile of a newer kernel with the patches
> applied, or would I be better off doing that on a different
> machine?

All the aacraid patches are already in the 7.1 kernel.  The
aacraid-controlled devices are all supported straight out of the box.

> Will there be a forthcoming RedHat 7.1-based official
> release from Dell? Is the 2550 being certified by RedHat?

Yes, and yes. :-)  Watch dell.com/linux for the announcement.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch