Autoloader supporting backup software for linux?

Hubbard, David dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Jun 1 13:49:01 CDT 2001

Hi PowerEdge users,
	does anyone happen to have a recommendation for
backup software on Linux that works with the Dell
PowerVault 120T (8-Tape 4mm DAT) autoloader?  I
started out with CA's ArcserveIT for linux and hated
it.  Here's why:

1)  It only has a web interface, no command line.
    This wouldn't be *that* bad until you combine it
    with 2 and 3 below.

2)  To install the software, it requires that you
    have the RPM version of apache installed with the
    paths it expects.  I had to install the RPM and
    make sure it didn't start just to get the software
    on, then I copied what it put in cgi-bin over to
    the real directories.

3)  The web interface is all Java and requires you pull
    down about 15 megs of data just to get started.

The second piece of software I have tried and am
currently running is NovaStor's NovaNet 8 for linux.
This software also has major problems, but at least it
has a console interface that I can run over an SSH
connection.  Their support is less than helpful telling
me things like "A tape drive can never run on SCSI ID
0 or 1, those are reserved for hard drives only."  I
basically have the software lose contact with the
loader every few weeks.  How do you reset it?  You have
to kill all the software processes, then use ipcrm to
clear out all the shared memory and semaphores used by
the software, then start it back up.  Repeat that a
few times until it starts working again.  The hardware
is not an issue as it works fine with tar and other
manual tools.  It's got other minor problems that bother
me.

Finally, there is a product called Arkeia out there, it
costs double what those first two cost so I have not
tried it.

Someone please give me some ideas here.  Dell, what do
you use for backing up linux boxes?

Thanks,

David Hubbard