Is this reasonable?

Darren Kinley (EMC) Darren.Kinley at ericsson.ca
Tue Aug 28 22:02:00 CDT 2001

Hello,

A Dell 4300 with add on RAID controller and running RedHat 6.2 was
dropped on my desk many hours ago along with a request to install
RedHat 7.1 and a list of required software packages.

The RedHat media does not recognize the RAID controller and cannot
find a place to install the OS.  After hours of surfing I've come to the
conclusion that most people owning Dell PowerEdge servers with RAID
are still running software that is a year and a half out of date.  In
addition,
I've also seen some pretty scary kludges for running other variants of
Linux on this hardware.  Attempts to get software from Dell inevitably lead
me to kernel 2.2.x drivers.

Naturally, I need to have the box ready yesterday.  Is it reasonable to
think that I'll make RH7.1 (RedHat distribution) run on this HW without
any support from Dell?  Dell makes it easy enough to buy a new system
running their variant of RedHat 7.1 SBE but I haven't yet found an option
to buy just the media and required drivers.  Has anyone done this and
how long did it take to get the CDs?  Is download an option?

Any advice that will help me to reach my goal or prevent me from wasting
more time is greatly appreciated.

I see the Compaq install is finishing up, got to run...

Darren