EXT3

Chris Chabot chabotc at reviewboard.com
Tue Aug 28 12:22:01 CDT 2001

I agree with Michael. I have several RH 7.2beta2 test machines here, and
it -is- included and -is- being tested in ways that are unimaginable ;-)

So far my experiances have been very good with ext3.. its got good speed
(though journaling is always slower then plain ext2!), and behaves very
nicely.. scales well with high-IO requirements. However, untill redhat feels
secure enough to release 7.2 final, i wouldnt use ext3 on my production
systems yet.. i like to play it safe, while still being cutting edge ;-)

My experiances with JFS have been very negative so far. The few times i
tried JFS 1.0, it nuked my filesystem badly on the first fsck.jfs.. Many
other users had the same problems. So steer clear from it for now.

XFS has a very good reputation, scales very well, does large files etc
perfectly, and i have heard no complaints on it yet, so might be a good
option if u'd prefer not to use ext3. (However ext3 has been around longer
if u only count XFS linux time).

The main upside for ext3, is that it is migratable from ext2 ... jus' a
simple tunefs and change fstab, and u'r set. Also 'downgrading' back to ext2
is childishly simpel. (change fstab back, and remove .journal file). This is
a -unique- huge benifit for anyone in the market to use a journaling fs.
Also it will be comercialy supported by Redhat.

So as michael said:
> I would encourage Dell customers to jump on ext3
> when Red Hat 7.2 becomes available.

    -- Chris