2.4.x on 6450 with megaraid, can't build useable kernel

Hugh Caley hcaley at loomer.com
Sat Aug 25 19:16:00 CDT 2001

I hope this is the correct forum for this.  I am trying to build a 2.4.4 kernel (don't ask, EMC requires it) for a Dell 6450 with a megaraid controller.  I have tried it both building the megaraid and aic7xxx drivers as modules and non-modular.

In either case, the machine boots, it finds the disks, and then somehow the root filesystem is never remounted read-write and so all the system services fail to start up.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Dell 6450, RedHat 7.1 (with lots of updates), 2.4.4 source from  ftp.us.kernel.org.

Hugh