Using SSE on Xeons?

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko simonf at cshl.org
Tue Aug 21 12:18:00 CDT 2001

Hi,

Thank everybody for the replies! Praise God - I have finally found a REAL
Linux support forum. Here is another nagging problem I have.

I am trying to take advantage of new SSE instructions on Xeon processors. I
have found out that gcc 3.1 has -msse switch, but I can't for the life of
mine figure out how to get gcc 3.1. I believe the prereleases of gcc are
called snapshots, but I went to several mirrors and everything I downloaded
was 3.0-related.

I would be very grateful for an actual URL to a current 3.1 snapshot. Any
stories about using SSE instructions or other Xeon-specific goodies are
also appreciated. So far I have not found any difference between running
computational programs on regular Pentiums and Xeons. Clock rate seems to
determine everything.

Simon
--
 _________
|       x |   Simon (Vsevolod ILyushchenko)   simonf at cshl.org
| y = e   |
|_________|   http://www.simonf.com          simonf at simonf.com

		Disclaimer: This is not me.
	This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...