Swap with 16 Gb of RAM

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko simonf at cshl.org
Tue Aug 21 10:08:00 CDT 2001

Hi,

I have a Dell 8450 with 16 Gb of RAM used for running biological
computations. Currently I have 3.5 Gb of swap, and sometimes it is almost
completely used up even when only 4 Gb of RAM is used. Worse of all,
sometimes kswapd takes up a lot of CPU time. Here is a recent free output:

Mem:      16490952   16486332       4620          0        420   12197416
-/+ buffers/cache:    4288496   12202456
Swap:      3578664    2915448     663216

I am trying to understand what is going on, but I do not know much about
swap usage or how to debug it. I do not even know about the proper
newsgroup/mailing list to ask this question, except the linux-kernel list.
(I am not sure whether I should go that far. :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Simon
--
 _________
|       x |   Simon (Vsevolod ILyushchenko)   simonf at cshl.org
| y = e   |
|_________|   http://www.simonf.com          simonf at simonf.com

		Disclaimer: This is not me.
	This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...