Dual Port Ethernet not working on PE2550

Mon Aug 20 10:49:01 CDT 2001

The problem could be one of 2 things:
1. Irq conflict in bios.  Go into system setup and disable usb and anything
you are not using presently.  Light up your num lock, scroll lock, and caps
lock on your keyboard while in setup.  Do alt-e and should beep.  Save and
exit bios and try.

2. Bios issue.  See if Bios is most current version A04.  If is could be
bios issue with on a reboot the slot the card is in isn't reinitializing
properly.  Try another slot in the system.  If not reply back and we'll see
about getting this looked at for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy_Sheard at dell.com [mailto:Jeremy_Sheard at dell.com]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 7:29 AM
To: mk2s at digitalcommute.com; dirkw at rentec.com
Cc: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: RE: Dual Port Ethernet not working on PE2550

Maki,

The PowerEdge 2550 has an Embedded Intel Pro 100+ NIC (82559 Chipset) and
the Embedded Broadcom Gigabit NIC.  It does not have an on-board dual port
Intel Pro 100+ NIC.  Using either the eepro100 or e100 native module works
fine under Linux 7.1.  It could be a negotation issue between the on-board
NIC and your Cisco 29xx switch.  Either try another switch, port, or force
your negotation to 10Mbps or 100Mbps.  Also, one thing you may want to look
at is the cable that is plugged into the back of the Intel NIC on the
server, make sure that it is not loose and it has a good connection.

Jeremy Sheard
Server Support Group
RedHat Linux / Escalations
DELL Computer Corporation