Dual Port Ethernet not working on PE2550

Jeremy_Sheard@Dell.com Jeremy_Sheard at Dell.com
Mon Aug 20 07:40:01 CDT 2001

Maki,

The PowerEdge 2550 has an Embedded Intel Pro 100+ NIC (82559 Chipset) and
the Embedded Broadcom Gigabit NIC.  It does not have an on-board dual port
Intel Pro 100+ NIC.  Using either the eepro100 or e100 native module works
fine under Linux 7.1.  It could be a negotation issue between the on-board
NIC and your Cisco 29xx switch.  Either try another switch, port, or force
your negotation to 10Mbps or 100Mbps.  Also, one thing you may want to look
at is the cable that is plugged into the back of the Intel NIC on the
server, make sure that it is not loose and it has a good connection.

Jeremy Sheard
Server Support Group
RedHat Linux / Escalations
DELL Computer Corporation