Drivers for PERC 3/DC for RedHat 6.2?

Peter Arien Peter.Arien at cc.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Aug 17 15:47:00 CDT 2001

Zeki Mokhtarzada wrote:

> You mean you don't HAVE to fsck after a crash?  Could someone please give
> more info on reiserfs?

It's not only reiserfs, but all the journaled filesystems you find
on linux (SGI's XFS, IBM's JFS, EXT3, ReiserFS, ...). Of course things
can still go horribly wrong, that's why all those jfs systems have their
own tools (like reiserfsck :-). But there is more: you can not only
mkreiserfs or debugreiserfs, but also resize_reiserfs! Imagine
using that on top of the LVM (logical volume manager, version 1.0 just
released) where you can just add a new disks to your system, add them to a
logical volume, and increase the size of your existing reiserfs filesystem
over/into the new disks. Neat. Exactly what my IBM/AIX colleague sysadmin
has been doing for years...

Reiserfs: http://www.namesys.com/

SGI XFS : http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

IBM JFS: http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jfs/
EXT3: http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/

General info:
  http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/J/journaled_file_system.html
  http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-08/journaling_01.html
This is a fast moving topic, so look at the date of the articles!

 > What's the best way to go about this?  Thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Hard-Disk-Upgrade mini HOW-TO
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html

Greetings
--
Peter

  K.U.Leuven - LUDIT             -=- Tel: +32 16 322219
  peter.arien at cc.kuleuven.ac.be  -=- http://pa.cc.kuleuven.ac.be