Trying to build Intel ANS... failing!

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Thu Aug 16 11:24:00 CDT 2001

Hi,

Matt_Domsch at dell.com wrote:
> As you're building against the 2.2.16-22enterprise kernel, you
> actually need
> your source code in /usr/src/linux to match the full source code of the
> enterprise kernel.  What you have now matches the UP and SMP
> kernel, but not
> enterprise.  Install these RPMs with rpm -Uvh   and then follow Michael's
> instructions and you'll be fine.

Surely it would make sense to ship Dell Linux servers with the source code
installed for the kernel they're actually running, rather than a different
version?

Anyway, I have downloaded this RPM.

Michael E Brown wrote:
> The Intel ians driver builds against the kernel sources contained in
> /usr/src/linux. These do not match your running kernel, as the message
> indicates. To get them to match your running kernel, do the following:
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make mrproper
> cp configs/kernel-*-i686-enterprise.config ./.config
> make oldconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage modules

What exactly will this do? Is it re-building my kernel, or what? I hope you
can appreciate that I don't want to go ahead and do something that I have no
idea about and that might mash my setup.

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com