[Linux-Desktops] Easy firmware update for non-MS-Windows users

Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com
Tue Sep 13 09:13:36 CDT 2016

Hi Paul,

First off let me say that Flashrom is an unsecured flashing mechanism.
On Dell systems the SPI rom is only unlocked after the signature of the flashing payload is validated.

The strategies offered for client systems and servers vary.

On supported client and IoT systems Dell has started to offer UEFI capsule updates (www.fwupd.org).

On other client systems that don't yet support UEFI capsule update, you can flash by placing
the binary on a FAT32 USB stick and pressing F12 at POST.  You will see an option to "Flash BIOS".
It will let you select the binary and flash it.
You actually don't need a FAT32 USB stick if the machine is already booting in UEFI mode.  You
can also place it on the EFI system partition and browse that from the F12 menu.

For server systems there are a lot of other components that need to be updated (such as LCC
and iDRAC).  DUP packages that can be run in Linux are released for these systems.  It's also
possible to do updates from bootable media (http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN296511)

Thanks,