[Linux-Desktops] Easy firmware update for non-MS-Windows users

Paul Menzel pmenzel at molgen.mpg.de
Tue Sep 13 03:35:03 CDT 2016

Dear Dell desktop users,

How can I easily update the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) from a non-MS-Windows
system, in this case GNU/Linux?

The system at hand is a Dell OptiPlex 7010 [1].

I know the project flashrom [1], which makes it very easy on supported
systems. Download the image and a layout file, run the command below,
and reboot.

```
$ sudo flashrom -p internal -w biosupdatefile.rom -l rom.layout
```

This takes two minutes, and not over fifteen with the current procedure.
(Even when getting a USB storage medium, formatting it correctly, and
doing it in the firmware menu. It’s a pain to use on servers too.)

Could Dell please start offering options for users, not using Microsoft
Windows?

How do other users do it?

Kind regards,

Paul Menzel