[Linux-Desktops] Optiplex 960 PCIe x1 WLS1 slot (wireless card)

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Feb 26 12:00:06 CST 2014

The Dell Optiplex 960 has an extra PCIe x1 slot on the motherboard,
towards the front panel, that is labeled PCIE WLS1 and I gather is
used for an internal Dell wireless card.  My question is, assuming I
can work around the physical issues, can this slot be used for any
other PCIe card or does the hardware or BIOS prevent its use as a
"normal" slot?  I could really use a third PCIe slot to add a USB 3.0
card...