Ubuntu on Vostro 3560

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 04:05:30 CDT 2012

since I see no replies, here at least some guess/try this:

On 15/08/2012 17:15, Bartek wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a new Vostro 3560 more less like that one http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201202-10402/ but with i5-3210m and bd-rom.
>
> It came to me with factory installed Ubuntu 11.10 and from the very beginning wasn't working the way (I think) it was supposed to:
> 1 finger print reader not working,
> 2 short battery runs on low performance tasks (about 2h),
try set boot parameter pcie-aspm=force , that helped me

> 3 no switching between graphic cards,
this is a headache for sure, I will never buy switchable again. At the
moment I have simply disabled the AMD dedicated card and run on Intel

> 4 no Intel Turbo Boost (only 1,2 - 2,5 GHz),
> 5 lots of problems with connecting to most of wireless networks,
> 6 dell buttons above keyboard not associated with any functions,
> 7 some freezes etc.
>
> I tried to update all packages, then upgrade do 12.04. Wifi seems to work better, but still not always connects / works stable with some routers.
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450 & http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12098495&postcount=356 improved problems #2 (still < 3h runs) and #3.
>
> I tried newer kernels from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ (3.4, 3.5, 3.5.1) in hope for better support for notebook's new parts, but had troubles with dell-laptop-oneric (3.5, 3.5.1) and wireless-iwlwifi-oneiric (all mentioned before) while installing linux-headers. Uninstalling wireless-iwlwifi-oneiric before installing 3.4 kernel let the installation finish, but anyway I had troubles after booting with new kernel - crashes, no wifi or no touchpad and mouse.
>
> What should I install after installing new kernel to make it work like a charm?
> Maybe I should post here hwinfo output or some error logs?
cant help much otherwise, after update to 12.04 things work OK for me (I
dont care about fingerprint reader, but graphics is irritating)

/Sinclair