Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 66, Issue 2

Basudeb Biswas optimusforensisprofessio at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:18:21 CDT 2011


Hi All!!

New problem today with the Vostro 3450 with Ubuntu 10.10 32-Bit! While
working, asked to install updates. Updates installed, the wireless was
broken, wherein no wireless networks were being detected. "lspci -v"
yielded all devices, except the Intel 1030 WLAN Card in the system.
Solution was pretty simple, listed
here<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718211>.
in short, opened up Synaptic Package Manager and installed
"linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.37-maverick-generic-pae"
(the added dependency is to be installed too). Restarted the system, and
voila!! Wireless Returns!!

Cheers!!

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM, <linux-desktops-request at dell.com> wrote:

> Send Linux-Desktops mailing list submissions to
>        linux-desktops at dell.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-desktops
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        linux-desktops-request at dell.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        linux-desktops-owner at dell.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Linux-Desktops digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 66, Issue 1 (Basudeb Biswas)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 01:01:06 +0530
> From: Basudeb Biswas <optimusforensisprofessio at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 66, Issue 1
> To: <linux-desktops at dell.com>
> Message-ID:
>        <CANz2ZjjPABBd__c-PYfaH5-DkH7eOYhR-urGfWnfQB9s96EZOQ at mail.gmail.com
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi All!
>
> Thanks a ton for the replies! The Fn+F2 (Wireless switch; no hardware
> slider or toggle switch) was on, as the Bluetooth was functioning. I wasn't
> really sure about the stock Ubuntu, as fetching the iwlwifi, touchpad and
> Intel / ATI video card drivers would've been a real trouble, trying to
> fetch them from the Dell ftp site, as also from Google.
>
> Nevertheless, did a complete format - re-install of the Ubuntu 10.10 OS,
> and things worked! Guess something went amiss the first time I recovered
> the system from the Recovery Media, which installed itself correctly the
> second time around. That being done, I now face a problem with running
> VirtualBox, wherein the problem lies with the availability of the USB
> devices. I will try it over the weekend, and post back for what went which
> way.
>
> Next up (also during the weekend) is a try-and-run-with-everything-working
> Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS install of Dell Latitude E6410. Wish me luck! Till then,
> take care people! Loads of good luck!! Happy Linux-ing!!
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM, <linux-desktops-request at dell.com> wrote:
>
> > Send Linux-Desktops mailing list submissions to
> >        linux-desktops at dell.com
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >        https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-desktops
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >        linux-desktops-request at dell.com
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> >        linux-desktops-owner at dell.com
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of Linux-Desktops digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >   1. Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell Vostro
> >      3450 ! ! (Basudeb Biswas)
> >   2. Re: Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell
> >      Vostro 3450       ! ! (O. Sinclair)
> >   3. RE: Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell
> >      Vostro 3450       ! ! (Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:32:34 +0530
> > From: Basudeb Biswas <optimusforensisprofessio at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell Vostro
> >        3450 ! !
> > To: <linux-desktops at dell.com>
> > Message-ID:
> >        <
> CANz2ZjiS7EpQJ7CFvXc_UQ9UAEq2ar3hkH4uCYptjDxDmn0PCQ at mail.gmail.com
> > >
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > Hi All, and greetings for the forthcoming festivities!
> >
> > We have the two systems finding mention in the subject, which are the
> Dell
> > Latitude E6410 and Dell Vostro 3450. The Latitude being the prior
> purchase,
> > I had unsuccessfully tried to install a completely-functional 10.10
> > (hereinafter referred to as "MM", in short for Maverick Meerkat) with the
> > video and touchpad (scrolling etc,) completely non-functional. Finding no
> > fix, I was left with no other option but to upgrade / update to Ubuntu
> > 11.04 (I'm running Linux Mint 11 "Katya" now), wherein the video and the
> > touchpad scrolling works now. So far, so good! After perusing the
> multiple
> > logs about the horrible power management and battery drain in the latest
> > Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, I find little sense in upgrading now.
> >
> > Now come the problem, which is with the Dell Vostro 3450. This system was
> > purchased in Thailand about 1 month back, came pre-installed with Ubuntu
> > 10.10. The system worked in all respects; well, almost, as while
> installing
> > the ATI drivers for the discrete video card in that machine, the OS
> > crashed, post which I performed an upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10. Things
> started
> > up fine, but the system which used to provide a battery backup of almost
> 3
> > to 3.5 hours on Ubuntu 10.10, suddenly dropped to about 1 - 1.25 hours of
> > battery backup!! Disastrous as it was for us, as this system is for field
> > work, we were forced to come back to Ubuntu 10.10. The Dell Recovery
> > Partition did not work, which, I presume, broke whilst the upgrade to
> > Ubuntu 11.10 was being performed. We created a Dell Recovery OS media
> from
> > the system (that is, the Dell Vostro 3450) using the Utility and OS
> > partitions in the system, and re-installed the Ubuntu 10.10 back into the
> > Dell Vostro 3450. Now, the wireless does not function at all, wherein
> > Network Manager does not detect a wireless network, as also "lspci" does
> > not list a WLAN Card in the system! We have not tried with the RJ-45 jack
> > for the "eth0" interface, but even if that works, would not be of any
> help,
> > as it is a field-use system.
> >
> > We would appreciate any and all help in order to get the system (the Dell
> > Vostro 3450) up and running with the Ubuntu 10.10 with the functioning of
> > the provided devices / components proper and in the way they should be!
> We
> > definitely do not want to go back to Windows, and would take any steps
> > necessary from barring use of Windows on this system, and to get the
> system
> > up-and-running with Ubuntu with no or very minor glitches. Kindly extend
> > all the help everybody can! Thank you all immensely in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Basudeb Biswas.
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL:
> >
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-desktops/attachments/20111102/268956e0/attachment-0001.html
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:35:38 +0200
> > From: "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell
> >        Vostro 3450     ! !
> > To: <linux-desktops at dell.com>
> > Message-ID: <4EB1391A.3090802 at gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"; format=flowed
> >
> > On 02/11/2011 12:02, Basudeb Biswas wrote:
> > > Hi All, and greetings for the forthcoming festivities!
> > >
> > > We have the two systems finding mention in the subject, which are the
> > > Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell Vostro 3450. The Latitude being the prior
> > > purchase, I had unsuccessfully tried to install a completely-functional
> > > 10.10 (hereinafter referred to as "MM", in short for Maverick Meerkat)
> > > with the video and touchpad (scrolling etc,) completely non-functional.
> > > Finding no fix, I was left with no other option but to upgrade / update
> > > to Ubuntu 11.04 (I'm running Linux Mint 11 "Katya" now), wherein the
> > > video and the touchpad scrolling works now. So far, so good! After
> > > perusing the multiple logs about the horrible power management and
> > > battery drain in the latest Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, I find little
> > > sense in upgrading now.
> > >
> > > Now come the problem, which is with the Dell Vostro 3450. This system
> > > was purchased in Thailand about 1 month back, came pre-installed with
> > > Ubuntu 10.10. The system worked in all respects; well, almost, as while
> > > installing the ATI drivers for the discrete video card in that machine,
> > > the OS crashed, post which I performed an upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10.
> > > Things started up fine, but the system which used to provide a battery
> > > backup of almost 3 to 3.5 hours on Ubuntu 10.10, suddenly dropped to
> > > about 1 - 1.25 hours of battery backup!! Disastrous as it was for us,
> as
> > > this system is for field work, we were forced to come back to Ubuntu
> > > 10.10. The Dell Recovery Partition did not work, which, I presume,
> broke
> > > whilst the upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 was being performed. We created a
> > > Dell Recovery OS media from the system (that is, the Dell Vostro 3450)
> > > using the Utility and OS partitions in the system, and re-installed the
> > > Ubuntu 10.10 back into the Dell Vostro 3450. Now, the wireless does not
> > > function at all, wherein Network Manager does not detect a wireless
> > > network, as also "lspci" does not list a WLAN Card in the system! We
> > > have not tried with the RJ-45 jack for the "eth0" interface, but even
> if
> > > that works, would not be of any help, as it is a field-use system.
> > >
> > > We would appreciate any and all help in order to get the system (the
> > > Dell Vostro 3450) up and running with the Ubuntu 10.10 with the
> > > functioning of the provided devices / components proper and in the way
> > > they should be! We definitely do not want to go back to Windows, and
> > > would take any steps necessary from barring use of Windows on this
> > > system, and to get the system up-and-running with Ubuntu with no or
> very
> > > minor glitches. Kindly extend all the help everybody can! Thank you all
> > > immensely in advance.
> > >
> > I have no experience of the dell images but have you tried to simply
> > connect to internet using cable and check for restricted drivers?
> >
> > Second thing I would try is downloading "stock" ubuntu 10.10 image,
> > create a live cd or usb and boot from that and see if problem persist
> >
> > good luck,
> > Sinclair
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 08:29:08 -0500
> > From: <Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com>
> > Subject: RE: Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell
> >        Vostro 3450     ! !
> > To: <linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com>
> > Message-ID:
> >        <
> > DB6E482E89290547898851B8CC9D81108C34C4B7 at AUSX7MCPS302.AMER.DELL.COM>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> >
> > Basudeb:
> >
> > For the vostro 3450, have you checked that the WLAN switch is enabled and
> > that the card is showing up in the BIOS?  If it's not showing up in
> lspci,
> > it also sounds that it could be loose and just needs to be reseated.
> >
> > Mario Limonciello
> > Linux Engineer
> > Dell | OS Engineering
> > ________________________________________
> > From: linux-desktops-bounces On Behalf Of Basudeb Biswas [
> > optimusforensisprofessio at gmail.com]
> > Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 5:02
> > To: linux-desktops
> > Subject: Urgent help needed for Dell Latitude E6410 and Dell Vostro 3450
> !
> > !
> >
> > Hi All, and greetings for the forthcoming festivities!
> >
> > We have the two systems finding mention in the subject, which are the
> Dell
> > Latitude E6410 and Dell Vostro 3450. The Latitude being the prior
> purchase,
> > I had unsuccessfully tried to install a completely-functional 10.10
> > (hereinafter referred to as "MM", in short for Maverick Meerkat) with the
> > video and touchpad (scrolling etc,) completely non-functional. Finding no
> > fix, I was left with no other option but to upgrade / update to Ubuntu
> > 11.04 (I'm running Linux Mint 11 "Katya" now), wherein the video and the
> > touchpad scrolling works now. So far, so good! After perusing the
> multiple
> > logs about the horrible power management and battery drain in the latest
> > Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, I find little sense in upgrading now.
> >
> > Now come the problem, which is with the Dell Vostro 3450. This system was
> > purchased in Thailand about 1 month back, came pre-installed with Ubuntu
> > 10.10. The system worked in all respects; well, almost, as while
> installing
> > the ATI drivers for the discrete video card in that machine, the OS
> > crashed, post which I performed an upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10. Things
> started
> > up fine, but the system which used to provide a battery backup of almost
> 3
> > to 3.5 hours on Ubuntu 10.10, suddenly dropped to about 1 - 1.25 hours of
> > battery backup!! Disastrous as it was for us, as this system is for field
> > work, we were forced to come back to Ubuntu 10.10. The Dell Recovery
> > Partition did not work, which, I presume, broke whilst the upgrade to
> > Ubuntu 11.10 was being performed. We created a Dell Recovery OS media
> from
> > the system (that is, the Dell Vostro 3450) using the Utility and OS
> > partitions in the system, and re-installed the Ubuntu 10.10 back into the
> > Dell Vostro 3450. Now, the wireless does not
> >  function at all, wherein Network Manager does not detect a wireless
> > network, as also "lspci" does not list a WLAN Card in the system! We have
> > not tried with the RJ-45 jack for the "eth0" interface, but even if that
> > works, would not be of any help, as it is a field-use system.
> >
> > We would appreciate any and all help in order to get the system (the Dell
> > Vostro 3450) up and running with the Ubuntu 10.10 with the functioning of
> > the provided devices / components proper and in the way they should be!
> We
> > definitely do not want to go back to Windows, and would take any steps
> > necessary from barring use of Windows on this system, and to get the
> system
> > up-and-running with Ubuntu with no or very minor glitches. Kindly extend
> > all the help everybody can! Thank you all immensely in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Basudeb Biswas.
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Linux-Desktops mailing list
> > Linux-Desktops at dell.com
> > https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-desktops
> > Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq
> >
> > End of Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 66, Issue 1
> > *********************************************
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-desktops/attachments/20111103/24636d1e/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-Desktops mailing list
> Linux-Desktops at dell.com
> https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-desktops
> Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq
>
> End of Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 66, Issue 2
> *********************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-desktops/attachments/20111103/46d1f906/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Linux-Desktops mailing list