Flickering screen on vga-out on laptop with Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 07:52:35 CDT 2010

Just installed brand new laptop Dell Vostro 3300 with Kubuntu 10.04 and
upraded to KDE 4.4.5. Some hickups but mostly good.

Yesterday for the first time connected a monitor to the VGA-out and not
a good result. I get this "flickering, vibrating" output that seems
related to refresh rate and it can easily give you a nasty headache.

Have tried upgrading to xorg-edgers ppa drivers, no difference. Tried
upgrade kernel to 2.6.35 via ppa. No difference but broken broadcomm
wireless drivers.

Anyone heard of this? Yes the built-in 13.3 is brilliant but I like to
use a larger monitor at work.

should be noted that according to website "webapps.ubuntu.com" this is
certified to work with Ubuntu 10.04. Whatever that means...

Kind regards
Sinclair